Writing a critique is different from criticizing, so do not think that if you have to write a movie critique, you need to outline its negative points. Regardless of whether a movie is an Oscar-winner, any movie is worth being analyzed and critiqued. Our movie critique writing service can help you with your movie critique essay or can simply assist you in understanding the fundamentals of critique writing if you do not know how to write a movie critique. With the help of valuable tips and strategies provided below, you will get to know how to write a movie critique and how it differs from the other types of assignments, including movie reports or summaries.
As a rule, students often confuse movie critique essays with movie review essays. Still, to succeed in both of these writing types, it is essential to be well versed in the differences found in them. So, when you are required to provide a movie review, you are encouraged to reveal your personal impressions of the movie as well as express your feelings, emotions, and thoughts you have about it. When it comes to a movie critique essay, you need to take into account cinematography, the way the movie is structured, the actors’ play, as well as provide recommendations on what could be changed in the movie in order to improve it or make it more appealing to the audience.
How Our Movie Critique Writing Service Can Help You
Our movie critique writing service hires only professional and qualified writers who specialize in providing guidelines and quality assistance to students who are in strong need of critique writing help. All writers have the necessary skills and expertise to be able to provide quality academic writing. Therefore, read on and find out essential information about what is a movie critique.
Defining a movie critique
Critique writing involves focusing not only on the negative aspects of the movie or its weaknesses but also on what made the movie special and interesting. Overall, the critique should be well-balanced between the strengths and weaknesses. Try to cover different aspects of the movie, such as the actors’ play, sound, costumes, operator’s role, features of the plot, etc.
Benefit from our service - save 25%
Along with the first order offer - 15% discount (code:start15) , you save an extra 10% since we provide 300 words/page instead of 275 words/page
How to Write a Movie Critique?
- Select a movie. If you were not assigned a movie by your professor, choose the movie yourself and think of the issues or aspects you would like to focus on. Make sure you do not choose too many of the ideas/ features. Keep in mind that the essay should be logical, so make sure the number of the aspects you have selected is right okay for the number of paragraphs you plan to compose.
- Watch the movie attentively. You will have to watch the movie at least two times: the first time for general understanding and the second time – to delve deeper into the movie’s essence and focus on specific ideas the movie director tried to convey. While watching the movie for the second (or even the third time, if needed), you will also have to jot down different facts and information or any ideas that you found interesting. You might also write down about your personal reaction to the film or your feelings or emotions that the film evoked in you. Watching the movie several times will help you notice all things that could not be noticed from the very first time.
- Move on to the writing stage. Start with providing background information about the movie. Pinpoint to the setting and to the overall movie significance. Pay attention to the movie plot and analyze how it develops, what it includes, etc.
- Work on the critique structure. Keep in mind that the poor structure of the paper provides an overall bad impression on the reader. When the movie critique is not logical or concise and is not well organized either, then it might be confusing to the reader. Therefore, it is important to work on the structure beforehand, for example, to compose an outline before writing the actual movie.
- Provide supporting evidence and examples. With expert opinion, strong supporting evidence, and illustrative examples, your critique will seem more credible and plausible. It will pinpoint the fact that you rely on expert opinion but not merely on your assumptions.
- Pay attention to the movie characters. Think of why the director has chosen to introduce these specific characters into the movie. Contemplate how are they helpful/ essential for the development of a specific idea/ purpose? Do the actors chosen to correspond to the general impression of a character and his/ her role in the movie? Analyze how the characters develop and interact.
- Pay attention to the plot and its development. A plot refers to the flow, sequence, or unity of events that take place in a specific movie. When writing a film critique, it should be one’s priority to emphasize attention to the plot. Make sure you indicate whether the plot is predictable or not, whether the events happen in an unexpected manner, whether the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, etc. when focusing on particular aspects of the plot, make sure you devote a separate body paragraph to a specific aspect. Overall, the plot analysis should include such features as the introduction of the main characters of the movie, investigation of how tension adds up as the movie proceeds, and pinpoint to how the movie finishes (whether the movie end is logical, whether it keeps in suspicion, whether it has a conclusion, etc.).
- Pay attention to the dialogues in the movie. Make sure you emphasize the way the movie characters interact with one another. Focus on the dialogues: whether they are natural, effective, abrupt, long, effective, suspicious, etc. Pay attention not only to the words but also to the body language.
- Focus on the originality of the movie. Investigate the core ideas of the movie and state whether you believe them to be original or not. How fresh are the director’s ideas and how interesting is it to watch the movie to the audience? If the movie is an adaptation, try to explain what makes this particular adaptation a good one.
- Pay attention to specific scenes. A scene denotes a separate episode within the plot. Choose a few scenes that you liked (or disliked) most for analysis. Pay attention to the content, to the actors’ play, to the dialogues, and to the way, they were shot. How do they develop? Pay attention to the logical connection and coherence between the scenes.
Spread the word and earn a 10% commission
on orders you refer to us.
Structure of the Movie Critique: How to Organize the Critique Essay?
The general structural guidelines are similar to those of an ordinary essay.
- Start with an introductory paragraph. In the introduction, provide general information about the movie, what it is about, who it was directed by when it was released, what actors are leading, etc. The introductory paragraph should contain a brief summary of the plot. Make sure the introduction ends with a strong and clear argumentative thesis statement. The statement should put forward a strong and clear argument or claim regarding what idea you intend to convey.
- Develop the main body. The number of body paragraphs depends on the number of ideas or movie aspects you want to consider. You should work attentively on the development of each body paragraph. Start with a topic sentence, where you mention and introduce the idea and convey the message you want to communicate across. Make sure to include examples and evidence from the very movie. Moreover, end the body paragraph with a closing sentence, which makes the paragraph logically complete.
- Provide a conclusion. In the conclusive paragraph, summarize the key findings of the critique. Pinpoint once again to the most significant aspects.
- Edit and proofread the paper. Read your complete movie critique and pay attention to the content: how well it is developed, whether it is logical, whether there are sufficient body paragraphs, etc. After you have analyzed the content and whether you have included all the information you wanted, now you can move on to proofreading, where you have to look for grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes as well as typos.
As an option, you can search for some movie critique samples online if you want to write a successful paper.
Useful Phrases for Movie Critique Writing
Now that you have got to know the essentials of writing a movie critique paper, you should not learn how to present your idea or message in a clear and understandable way. Moreover, knowing the helpful phrases will also allow you to present information in an appealing and impressive way, which will help you to maintain interest from your target audience.
Avoid merely summative phrases as your aim is not to summarize the information but to provide a critique of it. Therefore, use phrases that refer to analysis and your opinion. When choosing appropriate vocabulary, take into consideration your target audience. Do not be biassed or prejudiced in what you say – try to present your arguments and views in an objective manner.
Make sure you are well versed in the movie genres and you can easily operate the following terms: drama, thriller, comedy, love story, adventure, gangster movie, crime movie, Western, scientific movie, documentary, horror, historical, musical, etc. Moreover, always pinpoint to who the movie was directed by or produced by. Indicate whether the movie has an original scenario, is based on a movie, or is an adaptation.
If, for some reason, you cannot cope with the movie critique writing on your own, feel free to use professional assistance from our movie critique writing service.
How It Works
The ordering process consists of 4 easy steps